Markets > Museums

Yesterday, Wednesday January 25, was another adventurous day in Florence. First of all, I decided to drop my drawing class. I ended up not enjoying it as much as I had hoped, and didn’t need it for my curriculum. At school, I always pack my schedule to the fullest taking the most credits possible. I do this to get my money’s worth out of the tuition, increase my academic rigor and enroll in classes I find interesting and are not solely necessary for my major. But I’ve come to realize this semester is different, especially academically speaking. For the majority of the learning is not in the classroom, but rather through our new environment of Italy. I am learning to adapt to a different culture, speak a different language, and coordinate travel – which I have learned takes as much time as a class itself! Anyway, I am now enrolled in the lowest possible credits in order to allow time to experience the city, travel, learn the language, and spend time with my host family.

After deciding to drop this class, my Mondays and Wednesday are completely free after 11:00am! Luckily, Tiffany, a friend of mine has the same schedule, which leaves plenty of time to embark on new Florentine adventures together! Today we planned to go to the Galleria Uffizi where famous paintings are held such as the Primavera and The Birth of Venus by Botticelli, The Annunciation by Leonardo Da Vini, and The Ognissanti Madonna by Giotto, along with many others.


Veiw from the Uffizi window!

Tiffany and I, not being art history or museum buffs in the least bit, looked around the museum a bit when we realize we have no idea which paintings are famous or what we are looking at. At one point we jumped on an English speaking tour of students in hopes of finding out some information. We learned about a few paintings before getting weird looks from the students on the tour, realizing we weren’t in their program. Luckily my roommate (an art history major and intern of the Uffizi) texted me the must see paintings, and we happily took her suggestions.

After having enough of the museum, Tiffany and I headed out to the San Lorenzo market in search of some lunch. The market was awesome! I’m pretty sure we spent more time here than at the Uffizi – ok by me. There were many stands filled with fresh produce, cheese, pastries, meat, olive oils, vinegars or dried fruit. So much to explore! After tasting some samples of cheese and balsamic vinegar, Tiffany and I headed to the dried fruit stand. I had to try a one of each! I got raisins, pears, peaches, pineapple, melon, coconut, mandarin oranges, cherries, and a fig. Delish!

 



After a fun day in the center, we walked back enjoying our newly purchased dried fruit. Upon arriving home I set out on a run, finding a route around the stadium I really enjoy. Tonight for dinner, Ali and I were invited over to Rita’s, a friend of Christina’s who also hosts students. It was fun to have a different Italian mother cook for us and meet the other students, but there was so much food! To start we had pasta with spinach and cheese. Then four different entrees were brought out including artichokes, a frittata with tomato sauce, a potato dish with olives, and a cannellini bean dish that apparently was very native to Florence. I loved the artichokes and the beans were my favorite! For dessert Rita brought out warm stewed fruit including apples, raisins, and prunes. All was delicious, but it was so much food! Rita kept telling us to eat more, and to finish it all because it would make her happy. I ended the night with a huge stomach ache after too much food. At least it was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment