Guest Post: Italian Goodbyes

I thought it’d be cool to hear Sean’s take on our last day together, so here he goes! -


With today being the last full day in Florence, a fun and active day was necessary. It was saddening to wake up and think that this was my last day with Ellen but those thoughts were quickly wiped away with a sweet treat in the afternoon. Ellen and I decided to indulge in a McDonalds McFlurry. Normally, McDonalds is the last place you would find Ellen and I, but knowing they served a pistachio flavored McFlurries it was a necessary stop. With the pleasant weather of Florence we sat in the Piazza Santa Maria Novella enjoying our afternoon treat and some street performer music. His new spin on “Your Song,” by Elton John really made the moment somewhat magical.


After scraping the sides of the container to get the last of our delicious snack it was off to the leather booths of San Lorenzo’s market in search of a new belt for myself. After some bargaining I left happy with a nice dark brown leather belt – a wonderful memento of my trip to Florence.



With the evening quickly approaching my stomach was in search of a snack. To make the most of the wonderful Italian food it was back to San Lorenzo’s indoor food market that I loved so much on Tuesday. This time a sample of cheese and pesto was purchased and consumed along the Arno River. I must say, the river is one of my favorite parts of Florence. After soaking up the last of the day’s sun we were off for an evening stroll on the streets near the Duomo. The city really came alive after sun set. The weekend crowds were out enjoying the shops and sites of central Florence. It was really enjoyable to see the city at night, all lit up, and full with people.

As we walked, we kept our eyes open for a place to enjoy our last dinner together in Florence. Sharing meals is one of our favorite things to do together. With our busy days back in Syracuse having dinner together was the perfect time to catch up and unwind.  After our extensive evening walk we arrived to a popular restaurant right off of San Lorenzo’s market. We always seem to find ourselves beck in that area… guess we are foodies at heart. With the theme of food being “food I can’t get in the states,” it was prosciutto and melon to start, Tuscan mushroom soup for Ellen and gorgonzola walnut gnocchi for me. The soup was the hands down winner. The reduced tomato flavor and barley made the soup very hearty, and very delicious. I even put some on my gnocchi to increase the flavor… Full and satisfied, we took our time to absorb every last minute of our last dinner in each other’s company.

Well, I cannot think of a better way to spend my last college spring break! The week went by too fast and I wish I was staying longer. During my stay in Florence, I especially enjoyed seeing Ellen’s everyday environment and getting to share her study abroad experience even if just for a week. Host family dinners, biking through Florence, and the Healthy Monday & Sharing Thursday events are a few of my highlights. All in all, I couldn’t be happier with my time in Italy. Experiencing Florence while spending some quality time with someone I am very thankful to have in my life was the perfect combination to make this trip a trip of a life time. I know I will remember it forever!


2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh.......I still think I need to be pinched......I open each blog as if opening that novel that you just can't put down at night and wake up looking forward to diving into again in the morning. I'm happy for both of you. Florence for Spring Break? Who does that? Big hugs to both of you.
    Aunt Chrissy ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Aunt Chrissy! That is the best compliment!

      Delete